- 4 medium size beets, roasted
- 11/2 tablespoons sherry vinegar, white wine vinegar, or cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 garlic clove (they suggest 1 to 2, I used 2 and the garlic was a bit much, I would use less)
- 1/2 cup thick Greek style yogurt or drained yogurt
- 2 tablespoons minced mint (or dill as they suggest, the mint works well with the sweetness of the marinated beets)
Roast the beets, peel and cut in wedges or slice into half-moons. Stir together the vinegar, sugar, olive oil, and salt and pepper to taste. Toss with the warm beets and allow to marinate for 2 to 3 hours at room temperature or in the refrigerator.
Place the garlic in a mortar and pestle, add 1/8 teaspoon salt, and mash to a paste. Stir into the yogurt. Stir in half the dill. Add salt and pepper to taste. Drain the beets and stir some of the marinade into the yogurt (to taste). Toss with the beets, or arrange the beets on a platter and drizzle the yogurt over the top. Sprinkle on the remaining dill, and serve.
Advance preparation: The beets can be prepared and marinated 4 or 5 days ahead.
Yield: Serves 4