Despite the fact that my daughter is no longer elated with a plate of pink pasta, and instead of diving into a steaming plate of fucshia, she questions it with a snear, I have to admit that I still get excited. I love the power of a plant that can turn something from an off-white into a deep pink with a few tosses in the pan and to top it all off, it is extremely good for us.
Casareccie with beets and walnuts
- 1 1/2 pounds beets, peeled and finely grated
- beet greens, cleaned and cut into small strips
- 3 tbsp extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove of garlic, peeled and smashed
- 3 oil cured anchovies, rinsed
- 3/4 pound casareccie pasta
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- Heat oil in a large pan over medium-high, add garlic and anchovy filets. When the garlic starts to sizzle add beets. Reduce heat to low, cover and cook until beets are very tender, about 10 to 15 minutes. At this point add the beet greens.
- In the meantime, fill a large pot with water for the pasta. Bring to a boil over high heat. Once the water starts to boil for the pasta add a small handful of salt to the water and bring to a rolling boil. Add the pasta and cook until al dente.
- When the pasta is about 1 minute from being cooked to al dente perfection, turn up the heat on the sauce and drain the pasta, reserving a small cup of water. Without shaking all of the water out of the colander pour the pasta into the pan and toss it with the sauce, finishing up the cooking in the beets, add the reserved water if it seems dry. Remove from the heat and toss with chopped walnuts, serve immediately.
Four Years Ago: Tagliatelle with Yellow Zucchini and Olive Tapenade, Chicken Couscous Salad, Frittata di Zucchine Gialle e Provola, Farfalle with Yellow Zucchini and Tuna, Fried Flounder with Zucchini Straws over Grits & Beet and Beet Green Gratin
Six Years Ago: Fish Stew with Quinoa, Grilled Vermillion Snapper and Grilled Veggies, Farfalle with Grilled Zucchini and Sausages, Honeydew Melon and Green Tomato Salad, Grilled Sockeye Salmon Fillet, Sautéed Summer Squash, Okra Sautéed with Tomatoes and Garlic alla Napoletana, Carbonara with a Twist, Peach and Blueberry Cobbler, Morningside Farmers Market & Cheese Soufflè