- 1 (5 1/2-pound) whole chicken, cut into eight pieces
- 1 tablespoon plus 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, more as needed
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, more as needed
- 5 sprigs thyme, preferably lemon thyme
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 bunch spring onions or scallions, white and light green stalks thinly sliced (slice and reserve greens for garnish)
- 2 stalks green garlic, thinly sliced, or 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ½ cup dry white wine
- ¾ pound fresh rhubarb, cut into 1/2-inch dice (3 cups)
- 1 tablespoon honey, or to taste
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, cut into pieces
- Pat chicken dry and season with 1 tablespoon salt and 1 teaspoon pepper. Place in a bowl with the thyme sprigs and cover with plastic wrap; refrigerate at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Remove thyme from bowl with chicken, reserving thyme. Add chicken pieces to skillet and sear, turning occasionally, until golden brown all over, about 10 minutes. Transfer pieces to a platter.
- Reduce heat to medium. Stir in onion (white and light green parts) and cook until softened, about 5 minutes. Add garlic and reserved thyme; cook 1 minute more. Stir in wine and bring to a simmer, scraping up any browned bits in the bottom of pan. Add rhubarb, honey, 1/2 teaspoon salt and a few grinds of pepper.
- Return chicken pieces to pot in a single layer. Cover and reduce heat to medium-low. Simmer until chicken is cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes for breasts and 20 to 25 minutes for legs and thighs, transferring chicken pieces to a platter as they finish cooking.
- Whisk butter into rhubarb sauce. Taste and adjust seasoning if necessary. Spoon sauce over chicken and garnish with sliced onion greens.
Three Years Ago: Risotto ai Cardoncelli e le Vongole, Torta di Carciofi e Fave, Insalata di Polipo, Baked Fettucine with Bechamel and Artichokes, Spaghetti con la Bottarga, Farfalle with Fresh Shelled Peas and Pancetta, Limoncello, Wine-Braised Brisket with Tart Cherries, Citrus Shrimp Salad & Orecchiette al ragu di polpoFour Years Ago: strascinati con carciofi e panna, Fried Artichokes, Agretti, Parmigiana di Carciofi, Farfalle with Roasted Fennel and Swordfish, Risi e Bisi, Vitello Tonné, Mushroom Quiche, Cuttlefish and Zucchini Risotto alla Scapece, Alici alla Beccafico, Strawberry, Mulberry and Cherry Tatin, Linguine alla Beccafico e Albicocche, Torta di Riso, Sarago in Cartoccio, Spaghetti con Fagiolini Paesani, Panzanella Pugliese, Insalata Fredda di Seppioline, Cole Slaw, Sarde Incinte in Agrodolce, Carrot Coconut Cake, Fried Zucchini Flowers, Watermelon, Quinoa and Feta Cheese Salad & Casareccie con Triglie e Pesto di Acciughe alla MentaFive Years Ago: Flounder Fillets in White Wine, Lasagna, Southern Style, Lamb Shanks with Oranges and Olives, Zucchini Flower Pizza, Risotto With Beet Greens and Roasted Beets, Green Tomato Summer Pasta, Stuffed Zucchini, Melanzane in Insalata alla Calabrese, Spinach and Ricotta Quiche with Roasted Tomatoes and Onion Blossoms, Tagliatelle with Yellow Zucchini and Olive Tapenade, Chicken Couscous Salad, Frittata di Zucchine Gialle e Provola, Farfalle with Yellow Zucchini and Tuna, Fried Flounder with Zucchini Straws over Grits, Beet and Beet Green Gratin, Tagliatelle with Rhubarb, Cranberry Bean Salad with Celery, Basil and Mint, Spaghetti Integrali con Zucchine Gratugiate e Fior di Zucca & Pizza with Ricotta, Zucchini, Olives and ProvoloneSix Years Ago: Asparagus and Ham Risotto with a Fried Egg, Ragù with Fresh Egg Fetuccini, Black-Eyed Peas With Collard Greens, Linguine with Artichokes and Scallops, Pollo all’Arancia, Mt. Pleasant Farmers Market, Risotto with Artichokes, Saffron and Baby Shrimp, Cacio e Pepe della Scala, Summer Squash and Potato Torte, Pasta alla Norma, Asparagus Panzanella, Orecchiette with Cauliflower and Anchovies, Flounder in Cartoccio & Torta Caprese Seven Years Ago: Roasted Chicken with Pomegranate Sauce, Spinach and Sausage Lasagna, Roasted Brussels Sprouts, Penne with Zucchini, Roasted Tomatoes and Pistachios, Quinoa Salad with Chickpeas, Lemon, Celery and Carrots, Red Beans and Rice, Ziti with Artichokes and Swordfish, Black Bean Enchiladas with Green Sauce, Spaghetti all’Amatriciana, Mediterranean Beet and Yogurt Salad, Marion Square Farmers Market, Charleston, SC, Collard Greens alla Italiana, Baked Fish in Salsa di Agrumi, Gemelli with Tuna alla Siciliana, Fish Tacos, Pizza di Collards, Roasted Asparagus with Fried Eggs, Okra Masala Stew over Couscous, Refrigerator Noodle Creation, Grilled Sausages, Rigatoni with Sausages and Broccoli Rabe, Ligurian Stuffed Zucchini, Ziti with Asparagus and Flounder, Frittata di Patate, Butternut Squash Soup, Risotto with Sausage, Baby Bellas and Saffron, Fish Stew with Quinoa, Grilled Vermillion Snapper and Grilled Veggies, Farfalle with Grilled Zucchini and Sausages, Honeydew Melon and Green Tomato Salad, Grilled Sockeye Salmon Fillet, Sautéed Summer Squash, Okra Sautéed with Tomatoes and Garlic alla Napoletana, Carbonara with a Twist, Peach and Blueberry Cobbler, Morningside Farmers Market, Cheese Soufflè, Baby Artichokes and Scallops Risotto, Couscous Salad with Yellow Zucchini, Farfalle with Zucchini Flowers and Saffron, Chicken and Spinach Enchiladas, Casareccie with Pattypan Squash, Daniel Island Farmers Market, Boiled P-Nuts, Panzanella, Green Beans alla Napoletana, Chickpea and Vegetable Stew with Couscous